Starboard Quarter Repair

View through hull on Stbd. quarter

Here is a nice view of one of the major repairs we are working on this summer. As I mentioned in a previous post, this is work required by our dry dock inspection this past winter. I have removed around twenty two feet of the main wale (you can see the remaining timber under the gundoors) and two planks above that wale.

The wale is made in two pieces, 2 1/2″ thick each and about 10″ wide. The wale is in two layers the first layer will be attached to the frames and the second will be attached to frames and the inner layer of wale.

I did not intend to remove the two planks above  the wale but when we started work their it was clear the planks were rotten and should be replaced as part of the whole project. In one way removing the planks provide more room to get the big and heavy wales into place but in another way, it is just a lot more work.

Finding more work than we originally anticipate is common enough to the repair/restoration process of Mayflower II that when we are making time and material estimates for work projects we always build in the “more is probably rotten than we can see right now ” factor.

The new looking wood on the exposed frames are white oak “dutchmen” or graving pieces fit into the frames where bad wood on the frames had to be removed.

I am currently shaping a new frame section, or futtock, for that middle frame that looks like a single piece.
By the way, the boat in the shot is our one and only workboat, called the “Volunteer” we built in 2007 with our volunteer crew.  I designed the boat and directed its construction after a dedicated team of volunteers raised the funds and in kind donations (like the Honda outboard motor).  It continues to be a tremendous asset to our work and it enhances the waterfront with its beauty.

 

Next post – Keith and Danny’s big project….

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *