Plimoth Patuxet Museums is currently searching for a Media Relations and Marketing Manager.
This is an opportunity to work at one of the country's most prestigious living history museums. Operating on a remarkable property overlooking Cape Cod Bay, Plimoth Patuxet Museums (PPM) brings the story of America’s early foundation to life for hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.
The Media Relations and Marketing Manager (MRMM) plans, initiates and implements media, marketing and communications-related activities for Plimoth Patuxet Museums to raise the profile of the organization and support its goals and initiatives through both traditional and social media. Responsible for promoting Museum programs and events, and for coordinating all location filming activities. Works closely with Director of Marketing & Communications in crafting innovative and effective marketing communication strategies, as well as with the Digital Asset Manager on implementing them.
- Engage with the media; handle inquiries from local/national outlets; cultivate and enhance collaborative working relationships with the press and publicity community. Develop succinct and compelling stories and pitches from information and research provided by PPM’s staff.
- Responsible for planning and implementing promotional activities for the Museum’s public programs and events as well as special events.
- Coordinate and schedule filming projects, including oversight of agreements, scheduling and ensure all relevant support services.
- Partner with the Marketing and Communications Director, participating in planning, development and implementation of all of the Museum's marketing strategies, marketing communications, and public relations activities, both external and internal.
- Work closely with Group Tours and Hospitality team on promotional material for group business intended to drive earned media and visitation; conduct familiarization tours and develop media events for exhibit openings, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The MRMM possesses an outstanding news sense to maximize events and activations for news coverage and how PPM fits into major trends, thought leadership opportunities, and cultural/arts/community news.
- Proven success and proficiency in narrative storytelling, having the capacity to package the Museum’s stories across multiple platforms with compelling narratives that connect history to the present day.
- Ability to think visually, using imagery to capture imagination and inspire engagement – both in pitching traditional news media and using the Museum’s own platforms.
- Highly motivated, detail-oriented for thriving in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment.
- Capacity to plan ahead (as much as news is “of the moment”, great coverage comes from really planning far in advance on how to maximize opportunities)
- Outstanding writer and strategic thinker. Superb written and oral communication skills, including an acute sense of news angle and press pitching.
- Demonstrated project management and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of media strategy and planning options and the role of media in integrated communication.
- Entrepreneurial orientation to the digital world, skilled in using social media and new technology for media outreach.
- Imperturbable. Solutions-oriented, proactively addresses issues as they arise. Agility in responding to changing circumstances and priorities in a focused and timely manner.
- Ability to make decisions about how to manage and organize workload.
- Strategically focused trend watcher.
- A flexible schedule is required as the MMRM must be able to work some early mornings, weekend days, holidays and evenings as needed for various PPM media activities.
- BA or BS required (PR, English, Marketing/Communications preferred).
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience, including proven success in media relations in a non-profit organization, preferably a museum, arts or cultural organization.
- Experience with social media platforms, including, but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, Google+.
- Experience writing, editing and crafting content for the social media space.
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
8 hour shift
Plymouth, MA 02360: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
Marketing: 5 years (Preferred)
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting a PDF file of your resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by submitting them by US mail to the following address:
Plimoth Patuxet Museums
Attn: Human Resources
137 Warren Avenue
Plymouth, MA 02360